LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MGiacomet

Control tip strip input box should not accept more than max allowed number of characters

Available in LabVIEW 2016 and later. The 'Tip strip' entry on the Properties dialog now has a maximum size of 255 characters.

The documentation states that the Tip Strip is limited to 255 characters, however the Documentation tab of a control Properties page does no checking against that limit. One will only find out if there are more than 255 characters during execution, when the tip strip is truncated!

Please enforce the character limit of the Tip Strip input box, at design time. Also, while at it, make that box taller.

Untitled.png

12 Comments
JÞB
Knight of NI

I'm going to go here!

WTFWYT?  Tip strips are the best way for the Developer to inform the User what the data means.  Can you give me a use case example where 255 Characters are not enough? "View latest calulated results" is one of the longest Tips I ever wrote.  Talk to the user and get their story.  then make the tip strips speak to them!  Additional info should be in the help file link.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

If you enforce the tip strip length it's no real use to make the box bigger, unless you have some very large fonts.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Mads
Active Participant

"WTFWYT?  Tip strips are the best way for the Developer to inform the User what the data means.  Can you give me a use case example where 255 Characters are not enough?".

It seems to me that you have misunderstood the idea (or is this a comment to a now deleted comment?). The original idea is not saying that it should allow more than 255 characters, on the contrary it says that the input control should enforce the 255 limit, to avoid that people put in more text than the tip strip actually supports displaying. But with support for 255 characters the idea also says that the input control should be large enough to actually show the full string, without a need for scrolling.

JÞB
Knight of NI

on the contrary it says that the input control should enforce the 255 limit, to avoid that people put in more text than the tip strip actually supports displaying.

I could refocus on that....  Localization is going to be a huge barrier.  Assuming there is a developer out there that writes longwinded Tip Strips (Better practice is to keep them short and on point) and translates them to German, witch is often the longest character localization,  how would you expect the Documentation Property page to react when the char limit is exceded because of translation?  The Property itself will limit the max length of the string but..... Some hairy scary stuff will happen to the property editor.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done...The length of the Property itself should be a suffient barrier.  That and short, sweet tips as a general rule of better practice. 

Mads
Active Participant

Sure, the 255 limiting functionality here will not be able to fix cases where people are doing automated translations, that would need to be handled by the tip strip property node instead.

So that's a natural extension of this idea perhaps; that the tip strip property node should return a warning (string trimmed to 255 characters) or error if you write a string to it that is longer than 255 characters...The idea at hand covers the issue when you edit the tip strips in the user interface though.

MGiacomet
It never ceases to amuse me how some people in this forum do not fully read/understand an Idea, but are quick to bash it and act self-righteously. Then, when proven wrong, try to come up with justifications why they are still "right"... Mads, thanks for you support and attempts to clarify the Idea. Jeff, while I agree with you that Tips should be kept short, the problem still exists (no warning) as you well pointed out a possible issue with translations. See, "any limit is a limit". For the sake of argument, if one were to accept your initial example ("View latest calulated results") as a good one and say that the 30 characters in that sentence are the "limit", when you were to correct the spelling error ("calulated" vs. "calculated", a missing "c"), it would clip the final "s" and that would only be found at run-time. Again, Jeff, the Idea is about enforcing the limit, whatever it is. If you think 255 is too much, create your own Idea!
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

JÞB
Knight of NI

I'll take my licks!  It may be possible to improve that Property dialog tab!  

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2016 and later. The 'Tip strip' entry on the Properties dialog now has a maximum size of 255 characters.

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

This doesn't seem to be completed afterall? At least in LabVIEW 2019 I can enter a 374 character tip strip without the editor telling me anything is wrong:

Properties Editor.png

Regarding long tip strips: I agree that usually they should be brief and to the point, but sometimes it can be beneficial to have a longer explanation instead of having the user hit up the documentation, as in this shown example (shows the truncated tip strip):

Tip Strip.png

A separate issue, but I would actually prefer the tip strip not being stretched out to one long line, but kept as a more condensed box as shown here (but that might be an OS thing):

Tip Strip Better.png

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion