LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TCPlomp

Control-scroll (mouse) to switch tab-pages in edit mode

Sometimes it's hard to switch the tab-pages on a tab control during edit mode.

It would be nice if we could loop through the tab pages like we loop through the cases of a case structure on the BD.

So by using the ctrl-scroll-wheel (or control scroll wheel), this would obviously only be available during edit mode to prevent the end-user to hack into the tab-control.

Free Code Capture Tool! Version 2.1.3 with comments, web-upload, back-save and snippets!
Nederlandse LabVIEW user groep www.lvug.nl
My LabVIEW Ideas

LabVIEW, programming like it should be!
6 Comments
Mr.Mike
NI Employee (retired)

I like this because sometimes I develop dialogs that have multiple steps that use the tab control to provide different views for each step.  I hide the tabs so that you can't tell it's a tab control.  It'd be nice to be able to quickly move between the pages (as opposed to having to right click on the border, then go to "Go To Page," then select the page)

-- Mike
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> only be available during edit mode to prevent the end-user to hack into the tab-control.

What if in run mode, it only worked when the tabs were visible, when the user could have clicked the tabs to change pages? (I suppose we'd have to make it "visible and actually scrolled on screen", in order to account for programmers who don't hide the tabs, they just make the window size smaller than the tab control.)

CTF

>It'd be nice to be able to quickly move between the pages (as opposed to having to right click on the border, then go to "Go To Page," then select the page)

Rather than right click "Go To Page", I use the tab control "Page Labels Display". It's a ring-type control that selects the page.   I make it visible (it's hidden by default) and move it off somewhere that it's accessible but not in the way.  I use it to change pages when the tabs are hidden; and when I'm done just hide it again.

Not as convenient as ctrl-scroll-wheeling through pages but better than right click "Go To Page", or unhiding/hiding tabs

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> I use the tab control "Page Labels Display".

That's a feature of LabVIEW I've never even heard of before. Useful! Sometimes I suspect that somewhere in LV, we've already created the "just read user's mind and generate the correct block diagram" feature, but it got lost in a flurry of other new feature announcements. 🙂

RavensFan
Knight of NI

It's probably a byproduct of a digital display.  Since a tab control is essentially a special type of enum, and even enums have the ability to show the "digital display" as well as other special numeric controls like a gauge or thermometer, it is probably a carryover from that, and the entity was renamed from digital display to page labels display.

What is also interesting is if you show the Page labels display, and then right click on that, you can show a digital display of the page labels display.

Marc Blumentritt

I nearly always use the "Page Label Display" instead of tabs. I make the tab control an indicator, therefore the user cannot change the tab with the Page Label Display. The Page Label Display is only used as a header. Navigation through the tabs is done by other means, e.g. pressing left and right arrow keys.

CLD