LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xdaf

Conditional increase / conditional terminal

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I often need to count how many times a condition is verified inside a loop. The simplest way to do so is:

conditional increase true.jpg    conditional increase false.jpg

What about this?

conditional increase.jpg

The "conditional terminal" should be enabled by right clicking on the operator, and may apply to every VI with 1-1 I/O pattern.

Of course it performs the operation in case of "TRUE", and leaves its input value unchanged in case of "FALSE"

11 Comments
lvABC

Have you look into Increment PtByPt VI?

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361F-01/ptbypt/increment_ptbypt/

-lvABC

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Increment Pt by Pt is not quite a drop-in replacement because it cannot be arbitrarily initialized (the count always resets to zero). Also, the suggested primitive would presumably work for different datatypes, including the "circular incrementing" action of enums.
Manzolli
Active Participant

I'm not sure about this one. Instead of using the Case Structure, the Select function does a great job in this case, with minimal extra effort and space.

In the way presented by xdaf, the new function may be confused with a Boolean wire passing nearby the Increment function. I guess a little rework in the shape, that can be differentiate when the conditional terminal is active.

I also think that "Conditional Increment" would be a better name for it, in order to be coherent with the original function.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

The following low profile method would pair nicely with Change Output Representation on "Boolean to (0, 1)":

ConditionalIncrement.png

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

And the sister function, conditional decrement:

ConditionalDecrement.png

Manzolli
Active Participant

Good one Jack, but it will have an implicit conversion (extra memory allocation) in numbers that are not I16. By the way, why not I32?

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

Manzolli wrote:

Good one Jack, but it will have an implicit conversion (extra memory allocation) in numbers that are not I16. By the way, why not I32?

See Change Output Representation on "Boolean to (0, 1)" to fix this problem

Manzolli
Active Participant

Sure, I kudoed it. But since it is not implemented yet...

For me it's better have the idea Change Output Representation on "Boolean to (0, 1)" implemented because it will solve both problems with one "stone".

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
The arguments for sticking a (completely arbitrary) boolean input on this node hold for every node in existence. If you want an input terminal to conditionally skip the execution of this node, make the terminal an Error Code Cluster -- at least that is consistent across LV as the "sometimes execute me and sometimes not" node. In general, though, I don't like sticking error code cluster terminals on nodes that cannot themselves generate errors because it encourages bad dataflow design among users who feel that every error terminal must be wired up. It's the reason I do not like the "arbitrary dataflow wire" that has been proposed elsewhere on the Idea Exchange. No kudos from me on this one...
xdaf
Active Participant

Good point Jack, I think I'll use this solution from now on.

Thanks to all for your comments.