LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moderator1983

Concatenate primitive with an option of 'concatenate to new line'.

Picture says it all.

Concatenate with an option of 'concatenate to new line'

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

CLA_Short.jpg

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

I am not allergic to Kudos, in fact I love Kudos.

Make your LabVIEW experience more CONVENIENT.

12 Comments
ToeCutter
Active Participant

I like this- it simplifies and compacts code for a common use case.

ToeCutter
Active Participant

P.S. It needs options for both LF and CR/LF.

Michael_78
Active Participant

I agree ToeCutter, could this be a 'right click' option of the primative?  I really like the idea

altenbach
Knight of NI

Just use "built array" followed by "array to spreadsheet string" with a newline ( or whatever you like) as delimiter. Less complicated than introducing new functionality and just a little bit more code. 😉

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

I liked the idea so i just made a vi that does it ... now how do i get it here?

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

I posted a solution here: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/concatenate-with-newline/td-p/3153807

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
PaulG.
Active Participant

What altenbach said.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

As LV R&D: Seems doable. If it got enough kudos, worth considering.

As LV User: No. I don't like it. One more obscure syntax to remember for an odd edge case. Why not a concatenate that also trims whitespace? I have that crop up more frequently than I need to inject a newline on every individual string I'm concatenating. Why pile more functionality into a node than it needs? Adding newlines is trivial enough without more polluting syntax on a primitive operation. Go write a subVI that adds the newlines. Not enough polymorphism or growability in the subVI nodes? Lobby for more polymorphism and/or growability in subVI nodes, but please don't pollute the language primitives.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@Yamaeda: save your code as snippet (Edit>>Create VI Snippet from Selection) and insert the png image in your post.

I won't vote for the idea because I would probably want some tab delimiters and some line feed ones, and some with nothing. So unless it is a "per input" modifier (and post input modifier), that sounds too limited for me. But then, the primitive would become illegible, the same way the "invert" terminal modifiers are for arithmetic functions.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

X, and adding the "per input" is basically putting you right back to the Array To Spreadsheet String.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5