From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Mythilt

Compare tool should take into account the conditional disable symbol state.

Issue resolved in comments thread

If you need to compare two vi hierarchies in memory, it would be nice if the compare tool would take into account the current Conditional Disable Symbols for the files.  (I know that it might not be possible for vi's loaded from file, but ones in memory would be compiled according to symbol state, wouldn't they?)

I currently have a project with multiple sub-projects making use of conditional disable structure values to allow for various deployment options, when I need to debug a specific sub-project I generally start with a compare against the projects 'base' sub-project to verify that the sub-project is up to date with any revisions.  It would be nice to be able to also at the same time verify that any conditional symbols are set correctly (f.e. 'base' has all conditional symbols set to 'FALSE', while sub-project 'A' has 2 of the three symbols set to "TRUE".)

Currently, doing a compare will not catch this, it will consider the conditional disable structures the same, even though the actual code compiled (and not greyed out) is different.

So my suggestion is Let the Compare tool take into account which sequence of a conditional disable structure is the 'active' sequence when doing a compare.

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
2 Comments
Mythilt

Never mind, I ran my quick verify test again, and it worked when using vi's in memory.  Though it does not work with loaded from file (which would be nice to have)

Wonder why it didn't work the first time I tried it.

(If you are wondering, I normally have the "sub-project" open with its topmost vi open, and do the compare against the "base", which is also open, but the topmost not open, but loaded from file.  Apparently that doesn't link it to the current project that uses it.)

Jon D
Certified LabVIEW Developer.
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Issue resolved in comments thread