LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darin.K

Compare aggregates option for scalar comparisons

I would like to have the ability to set the compare aggregates mode for comparisons involving containers (arrays certainly, clusters would be a nice bonus) and a scalar value.  This includes the comparisons to 0 functions as well.

compareAggregatesIdea.png

10 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

But wouldn't the result always be false?  What would the logic behind the node be?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

If the array contains all zeros (for example) the result is true.  Logic is the same as putting 'And Array Elements' after the node.

crossrulz
Knight of NI

Now that's something I can get behind.

I thought of that scenario right after I posted my question.  I was hoping that would be your response.  You got my kudos.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
GregSands
Active Participant

As well as reducing memory usage by not creating a boolean array (or cluster), it would also be quicker by stopping the comparison as soon as it found a FALSE value.  This is an equivalent (and I guess would be an easy XNode, though perhaps not for clusters or all the comparison corner cases) but would be nice to have built-in.

Aggregate.png

altenbach
Knight of NI

> Logic is the same as putting 'And Array Elements' after the node.

I remember a discussion long ago where I was told that putting an "And array elements" is not exactly the same in all cases and that compare aggregates is somehow special.

Of course it would be nice if we could configure the node to either "or array elements" or "and array elements". Would that be useful?

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

Or could be interesting, there are situations where it would short circuit faster than negating the opposite comparison.  For example any element =0 would be not(all elements !=0).

What I like about the idea as it stands is that it really does nothing new.  It adds an option for situations that previosly broke your VI, and adds an existing, familar option to a different set of functions (whose main purpose in life is to save you wiring a 0 to the corresponding comparison node).  Adding OR to the mix creates an entirely new option so I would call it a nice-to-have instead of a must-have.  At least with the AND option there would still be a way to avoid the unneccessary boolean array if not the optimal short-circuiting.

Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Sure you can do a workaround by reshaping the array to a 1D one before and after the comparison, but it shouldn't be needed.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I think if we did this, we would have to add both the And and Or modes because I don't find one to be a more intuitive default than the other myself. But that's such a minor thing, I don't think it would get in the way of implementation of this feature if this gets acted upon.

Are there standard glyphs we could add to the node to differentiate And mode from Or mode?

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

Adding the Or mode does seem to open a bit of a can of worms for an effect than can be as efficiently achieved using negation (which could also be incorporated...).  The And mode maps perfectly to the operation of broadcasting (building a virtual structure of the same shape as the other input) and then comparing aggregates.  The Or mode is new and I support it fully so long as the usual fear of newness does not interfere.

If it were up to me I would give the node the shape of the boolean operation (And/Or) and then use the internal glyph (>,=0?, etc.) of the comparison operator.

Manzolli
Active Participant

I'm trying to see when AND/OR or NOT are necessary since every comparison function has his counterpart.

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil