LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
jyang72211

Cluster Constant Values in Description

Would be possible for small clusters of simple datatypes but unfortunately this idea would not be scalable for all possible cluster combinations.

Hi all,

Sometimes, a cluster constant is used in LV.  Due to the size of the constant, a lot of time, it is sized down, so that only part of the constant is shown.  What if you want to see all the values in the cluster?  You have to size it up. 

At the moment, if we do ctrl+h and hoover over the constant, we will get some information about the constant, but not the values are in the constants.  It will be nice if the values are shown in the help window as well. 

Yik

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
6 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
I know a lot of people do it, but I don't like seeing a cluster constant that is not "Size to Fit" (that goes for all structures that can hide code underneath closed-in borders). That being said, I really like the idea, but it seems hard to implement for complex data structures. Are you talking about showing a "Block Diagram visual represenation" picture of the constant value, or more like the 2009 style probe manager text values?
jyang72211
Active Participant

I am talking about right next the the parameters in context help, before the data type description.

Yik

code1.JPG

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
How would you view the value of an array?
jyang72211
Active Participant

Also in the context help window, and it should also include the number of elements as well.  Like below.

1D-Array

I32: 13 elements, [1, 3, 4], data format description

Knight of NI

What if the array is 1000 elements? What about other datatypes, like the waveform type.  Or clusters containing references. Or classes.

The Context Help should be used to provide a description of the object, not its value. That's what probes are for. 

G-Money
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Declined
Would be possible for small clusters of simple datatypes but unfortunately this idea would not be scalable for all possible cluster combinations.