LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonasM

Clean Up Wire function for several wires

It would be nice to have the choise to clean up all wires options (All wires within a VI) when right clicking a wire. I know it works with clean up utility if multiple wires are selected, but I don't want to mark them with shift clicks all over. Just by right clicking any wire within one VI should get the all option.

Today (Before)

cleanupallwiresbad.png

Futur (After)

cleanupallwires.png

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
8 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I think having a selection on one wire that affects all would be weird.  << personal opinion, not speaking for R&D here.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I strongly prefer my idea here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/BD-Cleanup-Option-Optimal-Wire-Routing-Only/idi-p/1575...

The reason is the following.  The results you get from selecting several wires and doing a clean operation on them is dependent on the order of the selection.  Oftentimes an early wire effectively blocks the optimal path for later wires.

A global optimization strategy like I suggest is more robust.  Plus, objects like tunnels could be allowed to move to improve the results.  

I have also implemented an in-between strategy which tries to approximate the optimal selection order.  Very similar to the standard rip-up and reroute algorithms used in VLSI.  I clean all of the wires and those with no crosses (or possibility of crosses) are removed from the list.  Items remaining are swapped in order and the process continues until no items remain, a minimum is found, or I give up.  Works great, especially when the overall layout is clean.

In short, starting from scratch I would suggest the simple approximation algorithm I use to clean wires.  But, since the BDCT already exists you could get great mileage just by pinning nodes and routing the wires and tunnels only.  I am not exagerating when I say that the BDCT could move from abomination status to the greatest helper the BD has ever seen with this simple adjustment.  I have seen the power of autorouting with my own eyes.

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

I have already suggested the idea of cleaning all the wires integrated with the cleanup tool. Check here

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
JonasM
Active Participant

I agree that it might we wierd to have option for all wires on one wire. So therefor I will kudo P@Anands suggestion.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
Wart

There seems to be a quick drop shortcut to do this: https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-6696

Manzolli
Active Participant

Clean Up Selected Wires -> Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Manzolli
Active Participant

The problem is that no pop up menu appears when many wires are selected...

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
Manzolli
Active Participant

How about having more options at the "Clean Up Diagram" toolbar button? Could be a drop down button with "Clean Up" tipstrip, looking like his neighbor "Reorder".

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil