LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
EngrStudent

Built for explorers, not just constructors -- Goal Seeking

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

Excel has been around forever, and that means it is optimized for a mix of demographics.  Something qualitatively similar can be said for most tools that have been around for a while, but what differentiates end user group includes the "canonical use case for the feature", and market/economics.  (I am convinced that if NI could make a sustainable/defensible few billion per year with a spreadsheet, then it would make a spreadsheet product.  It is business 101.)

One of the tools that Excel, Open/Libre office, MatLab, R, and Python have that LabVIEW doesn't really have (MathScript has it, but not integrated) is a variation on "Goal Seek" [1, 2, 3a/3b, 4, 5 ].  It is trivially easy to say "make the output of my function this, by changing this input" in all of those.  It can be done in LabVIEW, but it is not a "one-liner", and that comes from the UI being engineered around software creation, but not around data exploration.

I recommend a tool that can work on the front panel of a VI that allows me to attempt to set an output to a particular value by varying an input.  It can work with fzero, fsolve, or any number of optimization.

The demographic here is different than the conventional LabVIEW market in that it is the data-explorer.  This is for folks who want to understand something new, not seek to wrap an understanding they already have into a package.  Instead of capturing data in LabVIEW and processing it in another tool, why not start moving the line so more is done in LabVIEW?  The greater return of value for the same price means continuous growth of market share.  That isn't a bad thing.

1 Comment
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.