LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTSLVU

Build POP or other basic mail server into LabView

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

LabView has email capability but if you do not have a mail (POP or Exchange) server on your network, or like in my case use of the company exchange server is restricted to users with logins, but automated test machines and ATE system users are not granted logins, you can not send email using the LabView vi's.

Sure it can be done by getting a G-mail account and using the POP servers on G-mail through active-X but that is a lot of hoops to jump through just to send an email, and who knows how long G-mail is going to allow use of the POP servers.

It would be a lot simpler if LabView had a basic POP server vi that could directly send email with settable outgoing port just in case port 110 is blocked for some reason.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
4 Comments
RandyP

I've never used them, but aren't there SMTP VIs that would do the job? Unless you're receiveing email, why do you need POP?

Also, I don't think you mean server--I think you mean client.

-Randy
-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-
Nothing like a good dose of LabVIEW to cure what ails ya'.
RandyP

Though if you want to do gmail, it looks like the built-in VIs don't support authentication, so you're stuck there. There is this VI, however, which uses .NET.

I would kudo an idea that suggests adding authentication to SMTP.

-Randy
-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-
Nothing like a good dose of LabVIEW to cure what ails ya'.
RTSLVU
Trusted Enthusiast

The SMTP vi's are not mail servers. Maybe I am wrong calling it a POP, but the vi's need the ability to send mail directly not go through an external mail server.

Just like Outlook or your favorite email client can only send mail to a mail server to then be sent to the recipient the SMTP vi's need a mail server.

Standard authentication methods should be part of the server.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.