LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris_d754

Bookmarks in Project Explorer

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I love the bookmark idea that has been implements in 2013. I have been using the a lot. What I would like is for the bookmarks to have a dropdown menu in the Project window so that I can quickly find any VI that has a bookmark within the project. I feel this is easier than having a completely separate window that you have to search for for bookmarks. I often use the bookmarks for "TO DO" statements, and this way I can easily see everything I need to do in a project at a glance once I open up the project .I would want another tree menu basically labeled bookmarks that can be expanded to show all my notes.

Thanks!

7 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Can you post screenshots of what you'd like to see? I'm not getting it from the text description. I specifically do not know of any way for menu items to "expand". Menu items are selectable items that do things when you click on them, but you appear to be requesting some sort of view system built into the menus? Yes? No?

chris_d754

Sorry for the confusion. Something like this is what I'm looking for... what do you think? For me, it would speed up the time it takes for me to find what I need to do. Also it alerts other developers of any special things they need to be aware of very quickly.

LVProject.png

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Hm... For me, that section would nearly always be scrolled off the bottom of the screen. I can't imagine seeing it most of the time. I like the separate bookmark window because it is a separate region.

Perhaps if we started automatically opening the bookmark window when you opened a project that contained VIs with bookmarks? I don't know what that would do to load time, but let's assume by some magic it added zero time to load time. Would it be a good idea?

chris_d754

Yes, AQ  I could live with that as a solution. I, too, often have the window filled, although I wouldn't mind scrolling to see the bookmarks. Having the window auto-open would be a good compromise. I'm sure some would not want it to do so, so making it some sort of option would probably be called for.

GregSands
Active Participant

Perhaps it could be opened if it was open when the project was last saved.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

GregS: If the open/closed state of the bookmark window became something that dirtied the project file, there would be riots from many people who use source code control. It would almost have to be some sort of "IDE options specific to this project" that sits next to the project, and you wouldn't check that file into SCC, but that would somewhat defeat the purpose of the original request.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.