LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeP4000

Bookmark Manager - Time/Date of Bookmark?

Simple idea. The Bookmark Manager would be much more useful if there was a timestamp of when each bookmark was created.

Admittiedly, the user could just include this in the note but....well....that seems slightly long winded.

I find the Bookmark Maanger very useful already but I reckon this would certainly improve it.

Apologies if this has been logged already.

2 Comments
^N

Great idea. I've been using bookmarks liberally, and occasionally (often?!) they get outdated during development. This would be a nice addition.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This is my personal opinion. I am NOT speaking as a representative of R&D here.

I had this idea a while back myself. I never suggested it to anyone because I decided I didn't like it. I didn't like it because it added information that wasn't universally needed by bookmarks. I came up with a few things that "might be nice", like the name of the logged in user who added a bookmark or the platform the user was working on at the time. The list of metadata seemed fairly open-ended and more like something that each developer should record if it is relevant to their work. You asked for "date created". Maybe my team needs "date modified". And maybe different metadata is needed on different bookmarks.  Whatever your team's needs, you could have your team's source code control system running a VI Analyzer test to assert that relevant metadata was recorded.

I could be talked into the idea of adding the metadata, it just struck me initially as unneeded feature creep.