LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Dude_Man

Block Diagram

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

Find and Replace should be expanded to sections of code.
8 Comments
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
Could you elaborate on this one?
muks
Proven Zealot
Is it multiple find and replace that you are talking about? Of the same elements? Please elaborate...
Dude_Man
I had a small segment of code that I used in several Vis.  But, I did not put that segment of code into its own Vi.  I wanted to replace the segment of code with a diffrent segment of code.  I had to search and replace it manually. It would be nice if labview could find and replace segments of code not just Vis.
RavensFan
Knight of NI
I think there would be a very limited use for what you are asking.  Actually, more like the number of permutations for what you are asking for would be limitless.  How would you expect LabVIEW to be able to reconnect the wiring from the section of code you are replacing with what you are replacing it with?  There is no way it could guess what you want to do and it would just leave a broken mess of wires.  You'd be better off just copying and pasting, then reconnecting the wire yourself manually.
muks
Proven Zealot
Yes ravens fan is absolutely right. Given the limited use I will never use this and will be better off connecting the wires manually. Definetly this will not add any clarity and the confusion it might create will be really huge...
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Replacing one VI with another frequently leaves broken wires all over the place as it is.

I also don't think the OP asked for the code to be automagically re-wired, simply being able to search for a chunk of code and replace it with another is all he asked.

I DO see the usage for this, even if it doesn't autowire anything.  But I don't think it warrants Kudos because the usage is so limited.

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

The FIND would be useful. For instance, find every instance of an Action Engine that had a specific method wired. (e.g., if an AE had methods that included Read, Write, Init, and Destroy, there could be 100's of Reads and Writes, and you would like to do a search for the very few Inits or Destroys)

***EDIT*** I like the FIND, but REPLACE gives me the willies. I rarely use the current replace function anyhow (maybe used it 5 times ever). Might warm up to it, though.

Message Edited by JackDunaway on 03-24-2010 08:10 AM
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.