From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thoult

Better nested cluster navigation

Big clusters... we've all needed to work with them.

Currently, to change from one cluster element in a bundle/unbundle, clicking on the element name brings up context menus with the hierarchical structure of the cluster...from the beginning. Say you want to move to the next element in a cluster at a certain level, you have to navigate all the way through the hierarchy. You could drag down and then rewire and delete, but that's still more effort than feels right.

messy-cluster.png

How about changing the appearance and functionality of (un)bundle by name so that each section of the cluster name is a clickable link. Clicking on it would allow me to browse the hierarchy at that level, so click on the last element (currently Port) would show me the following option:

tidy-cluster.png

There's only one option at this level at the moment, but if I were to do the same on the Laser Settings section, it would drop down a menu with All Elements, <redacted section>, Laser Marker Mode and Laser Settings.

---
CLA
3 Comments
Henrik_Volkers
Trusted Enthusiast

Nice idea.

How to handle short display names? 

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

thoult
Active Participant

When you say short display names, do you mean the Hide Full Names option?

I suppose a right click context menu option to Hide Full Hierarchy / Show Full Hierarchy could be similarly used.

---
CLA
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

This sounds similar to the approach I was suggesting as an alternative to the design idea suggested here.

The only problem I see with it is with those "blank" elements in your cluster, or if you were to give the same name to two elements (both having children).