LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

Better insert objects in diagram

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I have searched for a similar idea (or even a discussion of the underlying problem) but couldn't find a good hit, so here is it.

Let me start with an illustration of today's trigger to this suggestion:

ScreenHunter_001.jpg

I have got square miles of real estate available to the right of the diagram, so I would expect the super-clever engineers at NI to have tuned the insert algorithm so that it nudges the indicator slightly to the right to make space for the "Transpose" primitive.

Instead, I get this:

ScreenHunter_002.jpg

Of course I can select the two objects and choose "Diagram Clean Up" (probably one of the rare instances where I would dare use the dreaded tool!), but I would argue that an intelligent diagram editor should be able to do that automatically.

Note that I am not even talking about insertion WITHIN a structure or towards the innards of a diagram.

Here the failure is complete, EVEN when autogrow is enabled (which I did very temporarily for this illustration):

ScreenHunter_003.jpg==========>ScreenHunter_004.jpg

Notice that the For Loop DID actually grow A BIT, but definitely not sufficiently for a satisfactory result.

In the absence of enabled autogrow (which is my normal use case), I would suggest the insertion to actually do some limited cleanup afterwards... Maybe something like that:

ScreenHunter_005.jpg

I am not saying this will always be possible, but at least try!

And, oh, BTW, this problem is definitely part of the illustration of this idea (and probably should be promoted to the status of a bug, IMO).

1 Comment
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.