LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Benjamin_C

Better Key Navigation on Front Panels #1 (Control Shortcut Keys)

Hi,

Key navigation is essential when a PC isused in an industrial environment that limits the use of the mouse (rackedsystems on production lines, temporary connection with a laptop to an RT target, etc.).

One lack is the impossibility to associatea simple shortcut key to a Boolean control (CTRL+S for example).

dialogbox.png 

Of course we can catch the key down event in a newcase of an event structure. But, we then have two cases forone action (one for the shortcut key and one for the Boolean value changed),what is not practical.

In addition, since LV 8.0 (I guess!) it is notpossible to underline one letter of a Boolean text to stress the shortcut keyassociated with the control.

file.png 

From my point of view, this is an essential fonctionnality of any development system.

3 Comments
Manzolli
Active Participant
Nice idea! I was a bit worried about the Mechanical Action behavior when the event comes from the keyboard. Then I figure out that when tabbing and the focus stops on a Boolean control, the user can use the Space key to press it. Since it is already addressed by NI, adding this possibility would be nice.
André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
SalacLV

It would be great if in the key navigation we have the possibility of any key combination, especially standard like ctrl + s, ctrl + n, ...

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

A simple workaround is to associate a custom menu item to the action performed by the Boolean (or any other control for that matter) and set its keybpard shortcut to what you desire.

Which brings me to the potential collision problem (with menu item shortcuts) which allowing what you are suggesting would result in.

For instance, already within menus, you can associate the same keyboard shortcut to two different items. Obviously that is a problem, since only one item will respond to the key press. Which one is anyone's bet. There won't be any warning, and it can be problematic to find out why there is a problem at run time (it has happened to me, which is why I know about it).

Imagine if you were allowed to associate the same keyboard shortcuts to any control and any menu item. This would be a nightmare to debug. I suppose this is the reason why it is not possible at this time, and also why I don't believe this is a good suggestion.