LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_McN

Better HTTP Authentication Support - Starting with NTLM

As we increasingly integrate with HTTP servers the LabVIEW functions appear more and more limited.

Authentication is a major concern and in enterprise environments one option is NTLM (or Windows Authentication).

I would like to see the HTTP client support this as in this case we had to abandon using LabVIEW for the integration.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
3 Comments
Haris_Okanovic
NI Employee (retired)

Is digest auth an option for you? IIS 6 (and presumably higher) supports digest auth to authenticate Windows users on active directory [1].

I believe LabVIEW's http client already implements NTLM on Windows (I.e. windows-client--to--windows-server) but I don't believe it works on Phar Lap, VxWorks, or Linux RT. Digest auth on the other hand is implemented (and tested) on all OS'.

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/be052923-6022-4007-833f-...

James_McN
Active Participant

Hi Haris,

Not in this case, the requirement for the system was to use Windows Authentication - LabVIEW was just looking to integrate with it.

I did give it a go on Windows but it did not seem to work. I could not find any documentation on what methods are supported - the help just points to the web service authentication pages so the assumption is that the open handle username and password is only for NI-Auth. If this is not the case this documentation should be updated.

Cheers,
James

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
aartjan
Active Participant

I switched over from the NI HTTP toolkit to the secure TCP/IP funtions in the encryption compendium from LVS-tools. It's got basic and NTLM proxy authentication. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seriously concerned about the Labview subscription model