From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dthor

BD Cleanup - Option to only clean up wires (and leave terminals, nodes, structures, etc. in place)

I know there have been a lot of Ideas regarding the Block Diagram Cleanup tool, but I haven't seen this one suggested.

There should be an option to force Block Diagram Cleanup (CTRL-U) to only act on wires. Essentially it would be the same as selecting all wires, right-clicking and selecting Clean Up Wire.

Similar Ideas, but not the same:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Clean-Up-Wire-function-for-several-wires/idi-p/1213463

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Block-Diagram-Cleanup-Confirmation-Dialog-with-Options...

I'm almost certain that there is a scripting method available to accomplish this.

3 Comments
manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello dthor,

here is an other idea in the same way ...

Selective CTRL B

Manu.net

Manu.net
dthor
Active Participant

Oh holy crap! I just now noticed that I've been giving you guys conflicting information. In my previous post, I said "CTRL-B" when I really meant "CTRL-U". CTRL-B is Remove Broken Wires and I love that feature Smiley Very Happy

I saw that one as well, but I don't believe it covers what I'm saying here. I do use it for other cases, though.

Most of the time when I'm prototyping new code, I throw BD terminals all over the place, connecting wires back and forth, up and down, and all around. Then once it (or part of it) is working, I move the terminals/nodes to where I think they fit best. After that, I clean up the wires mostly by right clicking on them individually and selecting "Clean Up Wire".

I'd love to be able to use CRTL-U to run that last part. However, without individually shift-selecting every single wire, I can't really do that. If I use diagram cleanup, it moves everything around, thus essentially undoing all my previous cleanup work. There should be a checkbox in the BD Cleanup Options box that says "Only act on wires" or there should be another keyboard shortcut that runs the diagram cleanup only on wires. Perhaps CRTL-SHIFT-U, I don't know (nor do I really care, as it can be mapped by the user).

In fact, if we want to take this Idea further, there should be a checkbox for every item that BD Cleanup can act on. Then the user can selectively choose which items get cleaned up and which do not. For example, I absolutely HATE that CTRL-U moves control terminal label to left align and indicator terminal labels to right align. Smiley Tongue

drjdpowell
Trusted Enthusiast

I like this idea, and would further suggest that a limited cleanup would also shift nodes slightly (a couple of pixels) if doing so eliminates a bend in a wire.  Thus, it would automatically clean up the fine alignment of nodes while retaining the course positioning set by the programmer.

-- James