From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BugBuster

Automatically updated version/build numbers: Exposing them programmatically for Help/About...menu item or Panel title

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

We update software often. Sometimes we need to know which version and build a customer is using.

My executable should be able to fetch that number when it starts up and add it to the Help/About... menu item or display it at the top of the Panel.

When building a LabVIEW executable, the build system knows that version/build number.

Let it format those numbers into a string and write it out to a dedicated textfile or add it to the .INI file.

Then when my executable runs, it can fetch and expose that number as needed.

4 Comments
Jeffrey01

YES!  I am so suprised the "Version Number" specified in the Application Builder, Version Information Tab, is not accessable from a property node inside LabVIEW.  I want to show the executable version -- set during the build process, programatically.  

Why is this not available as a read-only property???!!!

Capture.PNG

elset191
Active Participant

There are VIs you can use to get this number from the executable path.  I'm not at my PC now, or I'd post a link.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
fabric
Active Participant

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\Platform\fileVersionInfo.llb\FileVersionInfo.vi

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.