LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BugBuster

Automatically updated version/build numbers: Exposing them programmatically for Help/About...menu item or Panel title

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.

We update software often. Sometimes we need to know which version and build a customer is using.

My executable should be able to fetch that number when it starts up and add it to the Help/About... menu item or display it at the top of the Panel.

When building a LabVIEW executable, the build system knows that version/build number.

Let it format those numbers into a string and write it out to a dedicated textfile or add it to the .INI file.

Then when my executable runs, it can fetch and expose that number as needed.

4 Comments
Jeffrey01

YES!  I am so suprised the "Version Number" specified in the Application Builder, Version Information Tab, is not accessable from a property node inside LabVIEW.  I want to show the executable version -- set during the build process, programatically.  

Why is this not available as a read-only property???!!!

Capture.PNG

elset191
Active Participant

There are VIs you can use to get this number from the executable path.  I'm not at my PC now, or I'd post a link.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
fabric
Active Participant

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2012\vi.lib\Platform\fileVersionInfo.llb\FileVersionInfo.vi

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 7 kudos within 7 years after posting will be automatically declined.