Automatically put the BD window on top during a highlighted execution

Just like when a breakpoint is reached ! Smiley Wink
5 Comments
muks
Proven Zealot
Yes. Kudos!!!
David_L
Active Participant
Hrmm.  One of those things that just... makes sense.
elset191
Active Participant
I hate running a VI and forgetting that something is execution highlighting and I'm freaking out wondering where my infinite loop is.
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
SimonH
NI Employee (retired)

How would this work when you have multiple VI's with highlight execution enabled?  Or when you want the front panel to partially obscure the block diagram to monitor values of the front panel?

Just thinking of how I use highlight execution I don't think I'd want this feature.  Hitting a breakpoint is a singular event which could happen in a closed file where it would make sense to raise the window.  Highlight execution is a mode that you generally enable as you wish to use it and you likely already have the window open.

I'm not hating on the idea -- just trying to think through how it would play out. 

Benjamin_C
Active Participant

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your feedback. It is true that I didn't consider these points.

To answer your first question :

I would suggest that the block diagram windows should be opened on top according to the execution order (the BD of the last executed VIs is put on top).

To answer your second question :

I just suggest to place the BD window on top once, at the beginning of the execution. Once the BD is on top, you can easily switch from the BD window to the FP window with a CTRL+E. You could also cover a part of the BD window with the FP window if you want to.

To comment your observation :

You said : "Highlight execution is a mode that you generally enable as you wish to use it and you likely already have the window open."

I totally agree with you. But the suggestion is not to open the BD window, but to place it on top so that you don't have to search it among the opened VI.

Personally, when I debug an application, I often have to follow the data flow from VIs to subVIs and eventually can have dozens of VIs opened. If I want to check the execution of one of my subVIs with a highlight execution, I often need to run the execution again from the top VI. In this case, searching the BD window among the opened window can be a long task.