From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
labviewman

Auto-grow build array, string concatenate, build cluster, interleave arrays, build matrix, compound arithmetic

It would be quite helpful if LabVIEW would automatically grow down a function when bringing a new wire to build array/string concatenate/build cluster/interleave arrays/build matrix/compound arithmetic, allowing the programmer to make a new connection to the function if the function currently does not have room for the connection.  

Even better is if it would grow/insert where the wire is near the function, below an existing connection, similar to 'ADD INPUT'.

new.PNG

6 Comments
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I personally would not want LabVIEW pretend to "anticipate" my thoughts (which is why I have all the "auto" gadgets turned off.

No vote (or vote down).

Les__Bartel

To build on this, would you also want a terminal removed when the wire is deleted? Of course if you desired to wire something else to that terminal, the auto-grow you describe would be the natural thing.

Do you have to hover for a moment before the terminal appears? I'm thinking the mouse would have to be on top of the VI for the grow to occur. You might have to be a bit more careful/deliberate with the mouse when wiring.

GregSands
Active Participant
Auto-delete makes sense if there is auto-grow. And I don't think it would require much more care than usual - I expect the auto-grow would only happen if trying to wire to an already-wired terminal.
Yamaeda
Proven Zealot

Good idea, holding e.g. Ctrl should auto-insert a row, and if you r-click the Build array and choose "remove input" it should also remove the wire (or possibly a separate "remove input and wire").

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
_Y_
Active Participant
Active Participant

I am strongly agains such a "smart" bahaviour". Saving a couple of seconds could turn into hours of debugging. However, holding some key (such as Ctrl) would significantly reduce number of errors because using Ctrl requires meaningful action.

I'd like to see this apply to Merge Errors too. 

In general, I understand some of the "anti-auto-behaviour" sentiment above. For the record, I really dislike BD cleanup, auto-grow, and maintain wires connected...

However, certain auto-behaviours are can provide a real efficiency boost. I think that (if implemented well) this would be one of those really useful ones!