LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
donkdonk

Array calculations in Formula Node

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

Add support for array calculations in Formula Node.

Seems not that much of an effort, since LabVIEW is very array based.

Now only scalars can be dealt with.

(Mathscript is an add-on that can do this, however I would like to see this as base functionality).

6 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

We already can use arrays in formula nodes, see for example this post.

donkdonk

Immediately after posting I knew this comment would soon come.

I forgot to add "without using for/while or whatever loops".

(However there seems no option to edit your own idea....)

Just add the possibility of vector calculation, indexing etc.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> (However there seems no option to edit your own idea....)

You can edit it for 10 minutes after posting, but not after that. It keeps people from posting one idea, collecting kudos, and then swapping it for a completely different idea that no one else wants.

If you really have an amendment to the idea that just elaborates (like adding the phrase "without using loops"), then click on "Idea Options" at the top of the idea (right above the title) and select "Report to a moderator". Tell the moderator what additions need to be added to your text to clarify the idea and a moderator will make the change.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> "without using for/while or whatever loops"

As far as this goes, I think you'd need to post a picture and syntax of what you're thinking this would look like. If the goal is just to avoid using text syntax For Loops, I would just put a For Loop structure node around the formula node, and use the autoindexing tunnels to index and/or build my array. If the goal is some sort of autoindexing terminals on the formula node itself, you'd need to post pictures. If the goal is some sort of different syntax within the node, again, posting an example of the new syntax would be useful.

donkdonk

@ Aristos,

Thanks for pointing out how the editing works and yes it would be difficult to keep track of the changes if people could edit their ideas whenever they like.

>If the goal is just to avoid using text syntax For Loops..

It's exactly that. I know you can put a For loop structure around the formula node. The idea is to avoid this unnecessary action. Matlab for instance uses this method and to me (and lots of others) this makes sense.

> you'd need to post pictures

You are right. I did not take the time to do that. Now I see I should have.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.