LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregSands

Always place Error Wires underneath other wires

This is a very small suggestion, and hopefully easy to implement.  When wires cross, very often one of the wires involved is an Error wire, and as it is usually wired last, it sits on top of all the other wires.  All I'm asking is that Error wires are always placed underneath all other wires when they are created.  To my mind, this improves the readability of the diagram.

ErrorWire.png

What would help further is if Error wires were "faded", as if they were 50% transparent.  You do need to be able to see them, but not such that they stand out.  But I'm much less certain that such a change could happen.  The khaki color is an improvement on the old pink though, that's for sure!

12 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one that OCD when it comes to which wires are on top.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
dthor
Active Participant

I find myself doing this manually (CRTL-SHIFT-J... or is it K?) on a fairly regular basis so, Kudos!

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Does this urge have a name in medicine? OCD is a bit too generic... I'd say it sounds similar to this urge kids (and those affected adults) have to step on similar color tiles on a patterned floor. My Latin is a bit rusty, so I can't even suggest a name for that. Definitely of the importance of the Lilliputian war about which way eggs need to be broken...IMO.

Manzolli
Active Participant

I like the idea, but only when wire is created and as an option. After that, should be an user choice. Other usually strait wires could also "born" under all wires, like reference, queue, etc. A list of choices, in the "Block Diagram" Options page, which ones should "born" under all other would be nice. Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
GregSands
Active Participant

Yes, only when created - you should be able to change the Z-order later if you want.  I'm not sure about including other wires - things like Queues and References guide you around the diagram, whereas Errors mostly just go along for the ride.

fabric
Active Participant

Ok - I'm in... but only with Manzolli's refinement, and with GregS's refinement of that! Smiley Happy

Neil.Pate
Active Participant

I am so glad, I thought I was crazy about my block diagrams being "neat-enough", but I never even thought of this. There is someone more crazy than me 🙂

crossrulz
Knight of NI

I actually take it further.  All of my horizontal wires must be on top, except for the error wire which is always on the bottom.  Sometimes I have way too much free time...

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

44 kudos? Seriously? Wow. I care a great deal about my diagrams. I've spent hours polishing them. I don't think I've ever cared which wire was on top of a crossing point. Maybe in some really tight spaces... no... I think I would've just made more space.

Remember, folks... it's a programming language, not a Zen bonsai garden.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

BTW, duplicate of this one