LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blawson

Always Show the Connector Pane

Available in LabVIEW 2011

My idea is simple: Put the connector pane on the front panel next to the VI icon.

Why: Right clicking to show the conpane means extra clicks that would not be necessary if it was always there.  It would also be solve the problem of saving the VI with the connector pane hiding the VI icon.

before_alwaysshowconpane.pngafter_alwaysshowconpane.png

-Barrett
CLD
27 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Todays monitors are much bigger, so there is plenty of space to do this. Of course we need to ensure that the front panel can be left at a reasonable width, even for VIs where the runtime window must be small.

Thus, this idea would also require implementation of one of my other ideas first. 😄

Message Edited by altenbach on 12-03-2009 07:47 AM
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
That's a great idea!

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
PJM_Labview
Active Participant
Indeed a great idea.

vipm.io | jki.net

muks
Proven Zealot
Simple and great idea.kudos.......
Spectre_Dave
Active Participant
I would like this configurable (under VI Properties?) so I can turn it off when deploying applications.
Visualize the Solution

CLA

LabVIEW, LabVIEW FPGA
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI
Why do you show the toolbar when you deploy applications?

Great Idea.  Another option is one picture that flips back and forth with one click of the mouse.  This means the double click for editing may have to change to right click.  Either way, it's a positive step.
blawson
Active Participant
^ shouldn't be hard to just make it show/hide like it does now, but have those states like in my pictures.  This would also address space concerns in narrow VIs.
-Barrett
CLD
iannicholson
An alternative to this idea (and CrystalTech's variation) is for the connector pane to show only on mouseover, so you can operate on it. Granted, editing the icon would now require a right-click, but I could handle that (I often forget that I can double-click the picture to edit anyways).
Manzolli
Active Participant

Great idea as an option. Double click on the connector icon can resume the standard view.

As an alternative, when you hover over the icon, a button can appear in the left side of the icon allowing the user to click and switch between Connector and Icon. 

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil