LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
550nm

Allow vertical Case and Event selector lists.

Once in a while I encounter a case or event list that forces me to grow the structure

- in order to keep the list readable:

Selector.png

It would be nice if the item-list would automatically "wrap" instead.  

Selector4.png

4 Comments
Mads
Active Participant

In my mind the real idea here (kudos given) is to have the ability to manually expand the item-list box vertically, and *then* get the items to wrap.

I would not want the item list to always and automatically expand like this (although that could be an option one could turn on/off globally and/or on the individual case).

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I was about to say that Next Gen Preview has something that would address this (at the expense of a lot of annoyance, in my opinion): a list of all cases on a side panel (see below).

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.09.41.png

But in fact it shows the same problem:

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 12.15.58.png

The panel cannot be resized (only partly collapsed) and therefore you can't see the full list of cases in the last line...

Sigh.

xl600
Active Participant

I wish it could kudo this multiple times!  I use enumerated extensively for state machines and other controls, but the horizontal only list forces me to have to duplicate cases just to see the list in man cases.

Petru_Tarabuta

+1 Kudos.

Like xl600, I too sometimes create duplicate cases in my case structure to have full visibility of what enum value selects each case (at the cost of duplicate code / two points of change instead of one).

The best implementation seems to be Mads's idea "to have the ability to manually expand the item-list box vertically, and *then* get the items to wrap.", not to have the item list box expand automatically as it may take too much space for cases with dozens of selector values.