From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
banksey255

Allow the network address to be specified for TCP and UDP writes (especially UDP multicast)

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

Allow the network address to be specified when performing TCP and UDP writes in LabVIEW. 

For example, universal plug and play uses multicast messages for discovery. However, the multicast vi only transmits on the default network address. This makes multicast discovery impossible when I have multiple UPnP devices on multiple networks (I have multiple network interface cards and additionally use a VPN that acts as a virtual network adapter).

3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Can you provide VIs that demonstrate the issue? I don't know enough about networking to understand the problem so I'm not sure who to route this to. Is it a problem with the primitives, with how our network layer operates?

You can create PNGs of code to post here by selecting the code that shows the problem and choosing "Edit >> Create VI Snippet From Selection".

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

rolfk
Knight of NI

Not really sure what this is about. UDP write has a network address input to specify where the target address should be, and TCP is a connected sessions where the target address is defined at connection time and can't simply be changed afterwards.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog