LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neil.Pate

Allow switcheroo on Class property nodes

Names says it all really.

Once I am happy-ish with the performance of a VI I usually tidy up wiring etc.

Now that I have started to use Class Property Nodes very often you wish to re-order them just to make the wiring more efficient (you know, the shorter the wire the quicker the code executes).

It would be really great if we could use the switcheroo tool to swap positions of two elements in a property node. I would be satisfied if it did nothing with the wiring, because I would likely tidy it up immediately after anyway.

Not sure this idea will get much traction due to rather limited appear to most, but vote it up anyway!

11 Comments
Neil.Pate
Active Participant

This is basically the same idea that Jack posted here, allow cluster reordering.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> (you know, the shorter the wire the quicker the code executes).

Only when you have execution highlighting turned on. Smiley Wink

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

AQ, that's one thing I never understood about LVOOP - I would have expected that with the fatter class wires the data would be able to travel more efficiently and quickly (all my class wires are at least 6 pixels wide), and yet LVOOP code seems to be slower. Why?

I think super-conducting wires should be added as a separate Idea... 

SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

You can slow down the wires with a resistor

Capture.PNG

The resistor vi looks like this

Capture.PNG

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> AQ, that's one thing I never understood about LVOOP - I would have

> expected that with the fatter class wires the data would be able to travel

> more efficiently and quickly (all my class wires are at least 6 pixels wide),

> and yet LVOOP code seems to be slower. Why?

It's just an illusion created by relativity. A massive object moving at near light speed down the wire will appear to an external observer to take a long time, even though to the object itself, very little time has passed. If you put a sun (or other massive body) right at the corner of a wire, as the object bends around it, you will generate some interesting retro-temporal effects. Alfa can tell you more about this effect here.

Intaris
Proven Zealot

^^ This post is cool !

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

So what NI needs to do is create a new highlight execution mode which, instead of slowing things down, will show us things from the point of view of the data travelling on the wire. This will actually make LV execute faster relative to everything else, while still allowing us to debug our code with ease, so it's a win-win. Of course, because of parallel processing we're going to need several monitors to view all the data, so NI needs to include those in the box as well. Should I submit this as a new idea?

Status changed to: In Development

Neil.Pate
Active Participant

Wow, this is an unexpected blast from the past. Good news though (even though I have now moved away from using property nodes for accessors).