LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Intaris

Allow "Find" to target specific values

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When doing code refactoring (or other improvements) we often run into the situation where we may want to replace constants for whatever reason.

Example: If we previously have only had support for 8 devices which (for reasons I won't try to defend here) ends up being hard-wired into the software and we now want to change the code to replace these constants with a Sub-VI we have a very hard job finding all of the instances of "8".  I can search for a numeric constant but this produces so much noise it's useless.  It it were possible to narrow down the search to the value "8" for a numeric constant thent he search would be much easier.

Same goes for paths, enums, error clusters and so on.

5 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

I am pretty sure the Find works for text values.  So that should be fine for the paths, enums, and strings.  I'll have to find some time to try to see if that works for numerics.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Intaris
Proven Zealot

I COULD do it with scripting but I think that's much slower than NIs own search.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

There are a bunch of ideas about filtering search results. That seems to be a special case (Filter: constants).

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

It's true that, overall, "Find and Replace" should be improved and polished.
This feature could be much more powerful and efficient ...much more options, filters, ...

That would be often very useful. (kudo)

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.