LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ToeCutter

Allow 'create control' from tunnel on broken wire

Say I paste a function down inside some structure, say a case structure. I wire from the input of the function back to the left hand border of the structure, which creates a tunnel with a 'broken' (dashed) wire to the function.

I would like to be able to right click on the tunnel and hit 'create control' and have it work. Although the wire is dashed, there's no ambiguity about the correct control type as it needs to be the same as the function input.

4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

We tried that a few years ago. It created some confusion in cases when the wire was undirected.

There's a different idea that is being played with that seems likely to address this better: create a control/constant on a real terminal and then drag it outside the structure and have it stay connected instead of breaking. We'll see how that goes.

ToeCutter
Active Participant

Thanks for the info, Aristos. I was toying with another idea (which I have not yet checked to see if someone else already suggested) whereby when you 'right click->create control/indicator' the created terminal is attached to the mousepointer and is then placed by a left click. That could potentially play well with the 'stay connected' idea and from my perspective would save hassle, especially when you're in cramped program flow structures.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

That variant is also being played with.

I suppose the way I should say this is "multiple people would like something to be done with regard to creating controls/constants across structure boundaries but the exact solution is very open."

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@AQ: Kudo for that terminal with persistant and boundary-cutting wire drag and drop idea.