LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EthanStern

Allow changing numeric conversion type with selector tool

Available in LabVIEW 2019 and later. Right-click on one or more conversion bullets and select a new bullet type from the 'Replace Conversion' submenu.

Browsing through menus to replace a numeric conversion node is tedious.  How about allowing the selector tool to select from a pull-down menu, just like it does from an unbundle by name node?

Existing unbundle node behavior is shown at left.  Desired numeric conversion node behavior is to the right.

Quick_changing_of_numeric_comments.png

16 Comments
Active Participant

Good idea. NI should create a polymorphic conversion node.

Darren
Proven Zealot

I have implemented this idea with a right-click menu plug-in. See here to download it and try it out in LabVIEW 2015 or later. Note that it works on both single-select and multi-select right-clicks.

I know it's a right-click instead of a left-click implementation, but if I can manage to get this plug-in shipping with a future LabVIEW version, do y'all consider it a sufficient implementation for this idea exchange entry?

EthanStern

Darren is implementing my LabVIEW wishlist himself! That's serious ownership.

Joking aside, yes, that's a perfectly reasonable compromise. If it ships with LabVIEW (just checked 2016--it does!), I would consider my wish fulfilled.

It's always striking to go back and read something I wrote many years ago and realize I just needed to say the word polymorphic. Would love to see these nodes be poly in future versions of LV. I've been running 2016 for months and had not noticed the change--probably because QD shortcuts now dominate my coding workflow. Thanks, Darren!

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Development

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2019 and later. Right-click on one or more conversion bullets and select a new bullet type from the 'Replace Conversion' submenu.