LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
X.

Allow accessing terminal, references, etc of an individual object in a group

Functionality already available (see comments)

Grouping objects on the front panel is helpful to avoid inadvertently destroying a UI's layout.

Unfortunately it comes at a cost: if you want to access block diagram counterparts of any of the objects in that group, you have to first ungroup them, select the object of interest, right-click and select what you are looking for, go there... and hope you won't forget to regroup the objects when you are done.

Surprisingly, you can actually access an individal's object properties and in fact access pretty much any of the right-click contextual menu items BUT the "Find" one. So no "Terminal", "References", "Property Nodes", "Invoke Nodes", Local Variables" access...

Why?

If there is no fundamental reason for this, please consider this as a request.

3 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I just checked in 2011 and I don't see this - I grouped some controls and indicators and I can right click each of them and do Find Terminal or double click it to go to the terminal.

Is it possible you have a multiple selection and that's why it's not working?

Another option is that the addition of the shared properties option broke this.

Somewhat ironically, in 2011 I can't even seem to make a shared selection if they're grouped. Attempting to multi-select selects all of the grouped objects and right clicking any of them immediately deselects the others and shows that object's menu.

Trusted Enthusiast

I'll be damned.

That's what happened with late afternoon posts and fancy UIs.

I was simply clicking too far inside a borderless (transparent border) array (within a group)...

I guess my request could be salvaged into "provide access to an array/cluster BD attributes from one of its element"... but that has nothing to do with groups.

So strike that...

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Already Implemented
Functionality already available (see comments)