From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgcode

Allow Templates to be Selected Directly from the Tools Menu

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Currently Templates are not allowed in the Tools Menu, at the moment they just get ignored.

A fast way to access Templates would be just to select them from the Tools Menu.

Selecting a Template from the Tools Menu would create a new instance in memory.

See here and here for side chatter.

Certified LabVIEW Architect * LabVIEW Champion
5 Comments
Dennis_Knutson
Knight of NI

Since you can currently open templates from File>New.. can you explain why moving the dialog over to the Tools menu is an improvement.

jgcode
Active Participant

Hi Dennis

The Idea is not to move the dialog over to the Tools menu

It is to allow for the integration of opening Templates from the Tools menu only.

Therefore, you can package a Tool and have an intuitive API through the Tools menu that includes the ability to open Templates.

Additionally, please see links to threads which discusses this Idea.

shew82

I think my prefered variant would be the ability to include VITs/CTTs in palettes, that way when your with the rest of the VIs/Ctrls for your module/plugin/thing you could just click on the template... only instead of dropping the VI or merged VI on the diagram, a new VI from the template would be created and placed. That way people who already know how to find the rest of your API will also by default know where to find your templates.

jgcode
Active Participant

Hi Shew82

As you can see from the links I posted in this Idea, that was a separate, related Idea.

It is now posted here (I think both are desirable).

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 5 kudos within 5 years after posting will be automatically declined.