LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crelf

Allow 0pixel size splitter bars

We've all seen the demo that shogg did where he set the color of his splitter bars to the panel color so they disappear at run time, but what if the splitter goes over background controls that you want to persist between panels?

22583iA7F722F2038D69E4

It look slike the smallest i can have my splitter bars is 2 pixels.  I totally want them to show up in edit mode, but I'd like them to be 0 pixels wide in run mode (selectable, of course).

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
27 Comments
FermWorks

I'll kudo this, but restate it to request that splitters can have "Visible" property like everything else, AND include a previous idea that ALL hidden controls show (ghosted) in edit mode.

p.s. clever rebranding by VI Engineering: VI = Value + Integrity. So many of us originally named our consulting companies after some LabVIEW idea, only to realize later that most of our customers don't know or care that we use LV.

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

Meg K. B. wrote "p.s. clever rebranding by VI Engineering: VI = Value + Integrity. So many of us originally named our consulting companies after some LabVIEW idea, only to realize later that most of our customers don't know or care that we use LV."

Ha 🙂  We get that from a lot of people, but the truth is that we were V I Engineering before we were using LabVIEW.  Value and Integrity are tenets that our founder Robert Jacobs ensures we instill in everything we do.

Copyright © 2004-2023 Christopher G. Relf. Some Rights Reserved. This posting is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License.
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

The splitter container bounds are currently read-only.The properties could be modified to allow you to write a zero width/height at runtime, but always display the minimum (2 pixels?) at edit time. That might cause some serious problems in the LV engine code that renders the FP (divide by zero), but that's not our problem, right? :smileytongue:

The sub-panel container has a similar issue of having no block diagram terminal. If you set the FG and BG color of a subpanel to transparent and set it's bounds to a small value, it's almost imposible to find!

Maybe FP objects of type=container should be modified to always provide a block diagram reference or (that can't be deleted)? This way you could always right click the container ref (as you can now) on the BD and use find control. Why is it a control in this context? Poorly named, or maybe just an incomplete implementation?

Any time I've needed to use either of these elements for a UI, I've had to create the reference (right click on FP object and create Reference) to manage them...

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

by Active Participant Phillip Brooks on 08-30-2010 11:32 AM

The splitter container bounds are currently read-only.The properties could be modified to allow you to write a zero width/height at runtime, but always display the minimum (2 pixels?) at edit time.

That's a great idea!

PJM_Labview
Active Participant

I wish I could vote for this idea multiple time...

Note: I will be happy to have it as low as 1 pixel (as it cover most of my use cases)

vipm.io | jki.net

crelf
Trusted Enthusiast
1 pixel is better than 2, but not by much in my cases I'm afraid. I'm about to embark on a major update to several of our products, and this minor issue is a major pain. Anyone from NI to come to suggest a workaround, or lend weight to the idea?

fabric
Active Participant
Not sure if anyone is still listening, but what if you could set an arbitrary background image for a splitter bar? That seems like it might be a relatively easy-to-implement feature that would help with more polished UIs...
crelf
Trusted Enthusiast

fabric: sounds like a good idea - I suggest you create a new suggestion on the idea exchange.

elset191
Active Participant

I discovered today that system splitter bars (at least in my current configuration) show up transparent in run mode when they are set to the smallest size.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
fabric
Active Participant

"I discovered today that system splitter bars (at least in my current configuration) show up transparent in run mode when they are set to the smallest size."