NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
SteveChandler

All windows should be resizable!

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-21-2011 04:00 PM

I was going to post an idea to make the Find Items With No Callers window resizable.

Doing a search for "resizable" returns a few ideas specific to a particular window such as the example finder. But any and all windows should be resizable. Is there any good reason that the user should not be able to resize them?

find items with no callers.PNG

Comments
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-21-2011 04:30 PM

> Is there any good reason that the user should not be able to resize them?

Yes, I'm sure there is. Mostly, though, the reason is just that it's substantially harder to write resizable dialogs, which is not a good reason.

Kudos.

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-21-2011 05:22 PM
Have you guys ever considered a total rewrite? Nevermind. You probably couldn't talk about it if you had. I considered posting an idea to replace the LabVIEW IDE with Eclipse. Once done making a window resizable is just a configuration setting. On a scale of one to ten, how doable would that be?
by Active Participant X. on ‎06-21-2011 07:18 PM

I am wondering what Steve Chandler is hiding behind this white blotches... This Thermotron thing must be highly classified material. Do I gather that Steve Chandler wants "squeezable" windows rather than "Expandable" ones?

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-21-2011 08:12 PM
I am indeed hiding some super secret code. There are some set temperature and read temperature vis that are dynamically dispatched because I also have Watlow controllers! Two types! But seriously there are some other things listed that have product names.
by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎06-22-2011 01:37 AM
by Member JasonD_at_UML on ‎06-22-2011 07:45 AM

OMG yes! The rigidly sized windows drive me crazy. Especially file paths in Warning windows.

by Member pbpatel on ‎07-02-2011 09:49 AM

Yes This is very good idea

by Active Participant X. ‎10-12-2012 04:55 PM - edited ‎10-12-2012 04:57 PM

Did I mention "Rearrange Cases"?

"Shortcut Menu Editor", "Edit Events", also come to mind...

by Active Participant JKSH on ‎03-05-2013 07:36 PM
Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count