LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X.

All long pulldown lists should have a vertical scrollbar

I am struggling with my Event Structure event list and the corresponding list of cases in the parallel consumer loop Case Structure.

Both have currently over 100 cases each and finding one or scrolling down to access the latest one has become painful due to the lack of a scrollbar in these lists.

For instance, here is the Event Structure list:

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 12.19.16.png

Same goes for the list of controls in a Local Variable (and other objects, I am sure).

There is no reason why such lists do not have a vertical scrollbar when that corresponding to a Enum do have a scrollbar:

Screen Shot 2015-09-29 at 13.33.30.png

Or is there?

Suggestion: All long pulldown lists should have a vertical scrollbar

8 Comments
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

I made this a few years ago - https://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-24058 It works for Case and Event structures.  You can use it to add/move/rename/delete cases, too.

snip.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

@jcarmody: I know, I tried it in the past. I just didn't go through the trouble of installing it in each and every version of LV I have installed since. There might be a good reason why there is no scrollbar natively in those two structures, and I am waiting to hear it.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

The problem I mentioned might be due to the fact that the pulldown lists are in fact menus.

As demonstrated by the attached VI (LV 2015), if you create a right-click menu with 100 items, the menu comes without a scrollbar and you run into the issue I was describing.

Test Pulldown List Scrolbar.png

altenbach
Knight of NI

Even worse, I have some events that would require a horizontal scrollbar, because a single case handles so many different events. It seems there is a maximum event width and the rest gets truncated in the pulldown unless we actually open the event configuration.

Certainly there is a problem, but I am not sure what the best solution would be. My kudos just means we need to find a solution.

GregSands
Active Participant

With very long lists such as these, the more useful UI for me would be an auto-complete filter that only shows entries that match what is typed.  Typically I would want to find a particular control name, or an event type.

So my kudos also means yes, a scroll bar is better than nothing, but there might be a better solution.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Agreed.

jcarmody's QD shortcut tool is lacking in both domains, but could easily be modified by a good Samaritan (I don't have time or the skills myself).

MichaelAivaliotis
Active Participant
Yes, it needs a scrollbar. Also, it would be nice if it auto-scrolled the list so the current active case is right under your mouse. And yes, it needs an autocomplete feature.

Michael Aivaliotis
VI Shots LLC
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

On the occasion of its 100th kudo, I want to point out that for the specific case of the Event Structure (at least in LV 2016), editing a case gives access to a top pull-down list with a scrollbar...

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 07.59.49.png