From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gregopher

Additional formatting for tables and multicolumn listboxes

Often when using tables (and multicolumn listboxes), the content of the table column or row header is longer than the desired width of the cell.  It would be nice if there was an option to make the contents of the cell wrap to the next line, similar to how tables work in Excel or Word.

Also, adding vertical justification options such as Top, Center, Bottom to the Active Cell property subset would be nice.

Here's a crude illustration of what I'm talking about.

new Table options.PNG

-Derek Roane
5 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

And not just headers. It would be good if this worked for the cells as well.

Kudos!  I will add... NI needs a MAJOR front panel redesign.  26 years is a long time to keep the FP virtually unchanged.  The initial FP was great in 1985.  So was my Sony Walkman Cassette Player.

Steen S. Schmidt

Active Cell is used for programmatically changing the font, colors etc., which is fine, but it would also be very practical if you could change the justification, plain/bold setting etc. statically at edit-time, on a column-by-column (or row-by-row) basis.

I might want the first column to be left justified, but the rest of the columns to be centered. And the top row to be bold, and the rest plain (or an alternative font). Today I can set these properties at edit-time for the entire listbox, or for a single cell - not for a row or a column. Since I often do not know the number of elements that will end up populating the listbox, or it may be a number too high to practically set on a cell-by-cell basis at edit-time, I'm left with setting justification, boldness, font etc. programmtically on each cell as I fill out the table or listbox. This adds unnecessary code and spends unnecessary CPU cycles run-time.

CLA and CTA. Worked with LabVIEW from 4.0 to 2010 and counting...
gregopher

I guess this feature will be added as part of the next generation software platform with the XAML support. 

-Derek Roane
carlos_camargo

Now that NXG is dead, maybe this can be done in LabVIEW.  There should be budget for this now that NXG isn't sucking up all the oxygen.