LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marc Blumentritt

Add the possibility to search for shared variables in a project an in VIs

Implemented in LabVIEW 2009
I could not find any way to search for shared variables in my project. We need a way to search for shared variables from inside the project and using the find option inside VIs.
CLD
2 Comments
Darin_G

Hi Micael,

This is Darin from LabVIEW R&D, specifically I'm responsible for driving continuous improvement and new features into the Shared Variable.

In LabVIEW 2009, we responded to this feedback.   If you launch a LV project, you can right-click on a variable and select 'Find Callers'.   If you have multiple instances of the variable, then you will get a list like this:

find_callers_dialog.png

when you double-click a VI in this list, it will highlight the VI in the project that contains an instance of the variable.

Also, on a variable node on a block diagram, you can right-click it and select: 'Show Variable in Project'.  This move the focus to the LV project window and highlight the variable.

For future releases, we would like to have Find that works more like Ctrl-F find in LabVIEW, but we had to make a tradeoff between doing what we did in LV 2009 and doing nothing for a few releases.  

I hope you like the feature and it will address your needs.

~thanks,

Darin Gillis

LabVIEW Platform R&D

Darin Gillis
NI - Chief Product Owner - VeriStand
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed
Implemented in LabVIEW 2009