LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dsloan

Add row headers to single column listbox

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined. 

Why don't I have the option to add row headers to a single column listbox?  I can add a column header - and there is only one column.  It is often very helpful to show the row number in a listbox and there is no easy/good way to do this for a single column listbox

4 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

While I don't see a good reason why this shouldn't be, I'm assuming that the reason it doesn't exist is that a listbox is a bunch of rows and the column header is simply another row, whereas row headers would now require the control to draw two columns, which is harder.

Personally, I can't say I really miss this, because replacing a listbox with a MC listbox is easy enough.

The only problem with using a mc listbox is that you are forced to use a 2d array which for me means I have to take a 1d array, feed it into a build array function, and then transform the created 2d array to display my item names in the 0th column.  And from then on I have to deal with a 2d array when all I really have is a 1d array. 

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Well, if you're talking about the display of the names, I would only do the conversion once, right before display, which would mean I wouldn't have to deal with the 2D array in the rest of the code. The value of the MC listbox is still a scalar (or 1D, if you have multiple selection).

Like I said, I can't see anything wrong with it in principle (the listbox already allows showing symbols, for instance, so why not headers), but because there's a simple alternative I wouldn't want dev time spent on it.

Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 2 kudos within 2 years after posting will be automatically declined.