LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sbus

Add "Show/Hide Parent" to the 'value' property for cluster elements

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

I'd like an option to the 'value' property (especially for clusters) to enable/disable showing the parent.

In the example below, I'd like to toggle whether the parent is shown on the  default label when I create the value property from  filename (hide parent) to old datum: filename (show parent)...

It would be nice not only to be able to toggle this for specific instances, but also to be able to set the default as a VI property (and a project property).

'value property obscures important information'

3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

You suggest enabling show/hide of parent. Why not just always show the parent? I dislike adding modes if one of the modes is clearly an improvement, as this seems to be. If for some reason that's a problem, we could show the parent in the exisitng Long Name mode. Would that be acceptable?

sbus

It would; but I would like to leave it up to the programmer. The main reason is because the name with parents could be quite long; and if the context of the VI is such that the parent is clear, there's no reason to display it.

However, if I had to choose between showing the parent all the time, or not at all, I'd opt for all the time - I *hate* having the block diagram lie to me unless I asked it to. I have almost an identical belief when it comes to women.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.