LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daklu

Add empty reference containers to the front panel

When working on a front panel you can drop a typeless array and add or remove data types from it.  If the array isn't typed, the vi won't compile.  (Broken run arrow.)

I'd like to see this behavior extended to other constructs that contain type information:  queues, notifiers, user events, and DVRs come to mind immediately but there may be others.  For me the lack of this ability is most noticable when I'm creating new classes.  I'll be trying to set up the class definition (.ctl) but if it contains any of those data types I have to open a block diagram, drop the create prim, and create a control on the output terminal.  It's inconvenient to have to do this with any vi, but moreso with ctl files since they don't have a block diagram associated with them.

3 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

You can drag other controls into the queue/notifier/event/DVR control. The existing core type gets replaced with the type of the control dragged into it.

Daklu
Active Participant

Yes, but that's only after the control already exists on the fp.  The goal is to make it easier to get the control on the front panel in the first place.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Ah. Gotcha.