LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
flarn2006

Add a modifier key to temporarily disable auto-wire, and a hotkey to undo it if you forget.

Auto wire is very convenient most of the time. Sometimes, however, something like this happens:

To avoid that, you either need to place the second node very far away and move it back, or manually delete the wires, which can be a pain. Especially considering you see the wires it's going to add while you're dragging it, but have no way to tell LabVIEW you don't want them other than deleting them manually. It would be nice to be able to hold a key down to temporarily disable this feature.

But what if you don't notice it's going to place a wire until you've already placed it? There should be a key for that too. If there haven't been any edits since the last time something was auto-wired, you could just press a key and the last auto-wire would go away. A good way to do this would be to just have the auto-wiring count as a separate action in the undo buffer, so you can hit Ctrl+Z once to get rid of the wires, and again if you don't want the object you placed at all.

7 Comments
elset191
Active Participant

If you hit space when you're about to drop the icon the auto wire will turn off.  No way to turn it back on that I know of, though I've never tried.

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
fabric
Active Participant

@elset191 wrote:

If you hit space when you're about to drop the icon the auto wire will turn off.

Excellent tip! Thanks...

flarn2006

Do you mean it will stay off until you manually turn it back on? If so that doesn't sound very useful...

fabric
Active Participant

@flarn2006 wrote:

Do you mean it will stay off until you manually turn it back on?

No... it disables auto-wiring for the pending drop operation only. I think elset191 just means that it can't be re-enabled for the current operation.

(Try it and see Smiley Wink)

P@Anand
Trusted Enthusiast

elset191

If you hit space when you're about to drop the icon the auto wire will turn off.  No way to turn it back on that I know of, though I've never tried.

I would have given Kudos to you if you have posted this anywhere else other than Idea exchange. 🙂

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

P@Anand: Hit the space bar again to turn it back on.

Hit the 'g' key while dragging to toggle snapping to the alignment grid.

MaryH
Status changed to: Already Implemented