LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheQ

Add Merge Errors on Loop Terminal

I find myself wiring errors out of the loop using auto-indexing and then immediately using a merge errors on the array of errors.  With the addition of the Loop Terminals for concatenating arrays and conditional arrays, please add one on error wire terminals that can do the merge errors in one step.  

For Example, current implementation:

Merge Errors.png

What I would like to have but would do the same thing in one step:

Merge Errors New Terminal.png

Quentin "Q" Alldredge

Chief LabVIEW Architect, Testeract | Owner, Q Software Innovations, LLC (QSI)
Director, GCentral | Admin, LabVIEW Wiki | Creator, The QControl Toolkit
Certified LabVIEW Architect | LabVIEW Champion | NI Alliance Partner

4 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

We discussed adding that. Normally, this behavior is undesirable because the code a user most probably wants is this:

Untitled.png

Adding the auto Merge Error is making more simple a case that is probably not what the user wants, so we rejected doing this.

TomOrr0W

I do add a merge errors after a for loop sometimes in parallel for loops:
For Loop Merge Errors.png

However, having the error merging move to the terminal still would only be useful if there is no error input to the loop, as you would otherwise need to merge the error with another error wire outside the loop to account for 0-iteration loops (unless you know it won't execute 0 times).  With non-parallel for loops, I usually use a shift register to pass errors around.  This also isn't useful if you want your loop to stop if it generates an error, as AristosQueue's diagram makes more sense in that case.

In short, I still am giving the idea kudos, but I am not sure I would be saving time with it very often.

James.M
Active Participant

I tend to merge outside my parallel For loops and include the pre-loop error.

Merge Errors.PNG

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

_carl

Came here to request the same thing.

I don't actually find this behavior desirable:

_carl_0-1677865401288.png

The reason: you lose any warnings that may occur on not-the-last iteration.