From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mellroth

Actual icon to be shown in project viewer

I'd like to be able to switch the project explorer view to show actual VI/CTL icons instead of generic icons, very much like the function palette displays available methods.

The icon view should be possible to set for all items and/or only a subset of the project tree.

This would be very nice, since LabVIEW allows us to draw pictures that represents the code hidden in a VI, and a picture tells more than a thousand words...

/Jonas

Message Edited by Mellroth on 08-12-2009 12:59 PM
3 Comments
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Like the VI hierarchy but in tree form?

Hmm, I think it could be very useful as an option but please don't make it default....

JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

For a flourishing project that burgeons 1000+ VI's (I know, there are those of you out there who have even more!), showing the icons is just too much of a real-estate killer.

I have to admit... for a smaller project of 100 or less VI's, this could potentially be a better view.

Mellroth

The idea is to easily locate methods by icon instead of names.

If you have 1000 VIs you probably have splitted these VIs in groups anyway, and as I proposed, this view should be settable on a subset only.

I also don't mean that the real icon view should necessarily be a top-down list, but could use a number of columns (like the palette view) to display the VI icons.

/Jonas