From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirk

Abort Button should indicate the last execution point in source

When the abort button is pressed, and the development environment is present, the block diagram should be shown and the portion of code that was currently executing should be hilited.

5 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

This is a reasonable request, but I'm not sure how we would make it work.

There would be many such points that we would need to highlight all over the VI Hierarchy, even if we restricted this only to VIs that are already open. There can be more than one even on a single VI, and most VIs have at least some parallel ism. Can you provide details of how you would like us to handle that case?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

A bit of Idea housekeeping... I've asked moderator to adjust the idea title to

Abort Button should indicate the last execution point in source

That avoids anyone thinking this idea has something to do with execution highlighting, and it uses the word "indicate", which may open up brainstorming for other options beyond "zoom highlight".

Kirk

If there is more than one thread happening when execution is aborted, a dialog similar to a search dialog could come up that would list each thread and you click each one and it shows that portion of code in the source just like when you search for something.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

I can see the usefulness for such a tool in a massively parallel design, where stepping through the code would probably never reproduce the "real world" behavior of the code. As a matter of fact, I would suggest to extend this to a GLOBAL PAUSE button.

In other words, when a piece of code seems to be going nowhere, it is a bit of an extreme recourse to have to press the ABORT button. I suppose that if the ABORT-with-highlight was implementable, the GLOBAL-PAUSE would be?

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Probably.