LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ralvarez

Able to convert Path, String and Numeric data types to each other

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.

There are times that I wanted to use a numeric constant or control as a string data type. In order to use a different data type, I would manually copy and paste the control/constant values to another data type. Moreover, if the control or constant is an array of values, it's tiring to do a manual copy of the values. Creating a vi that would convert the data type would also take time. As a suggestion, I hope LabVIEW can include in their "right-click" property box a method of converting the Path to String, String to Path, String to Numeric and Numeric to String.

I don't know if this is a big thing or not. Just a piece of thought.

21840iAA17F180F8660DF4

4 Comments
Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

I don't find the need to switch between strings/paths and numerics very often, but I do somewhat frequently need to change between string and path constants.  I find that I'm always annoyed when I do a Replace >> operation and I lose the data.

Jim_Kring
Trusted Enthusiast

I've just posted a related idea here.

ralvarez

That's also my problem especially when working on an array of strings or paths. I just hope LabVIEW has a quick conversion for this.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 6 kudos within 6 years after posting will be automatically declined.