NI Home > Community > NI Discussion Forums

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Announcements
We've turned on a search before post feature in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. This new feature will help cut down on the number of duplicate ideas in this space!

The NI Idea Exchange is a product feedback forum where NI R&D and users work together to submit ideas, collaborate on their development, and vote for the ones they like best. View all of the NI Idea Exchanges to post an idea or add your opinion on an existing one today!
ctennies

Ability to select interface for UDP writes

by Member ctennies on ‎01-16-2012 01:40 PM

I would like to see the ability to select which network interface UDP writes are written to. Presently the UDP method in labview allows you to select interface for reads but writes automatically go out the "default interface" having a system consisting of a wired card, wireless card and a virtual interface is bringing about this need. I can manually turn off the virtual in the network control panel but there should be a way to just output to the device one wants to

Tech writer was alerted of documentation issue.
Comments
by Member S_Kamath on ‎01-16-2012 02:19 PM

I believe the UDP Write selects the network interface based on the routing table. In most cases this is enough to get it right but virtual interfaces in particular VMware have caused problems for me in the past. The issue is that Vmware directs all link-local (169.x.x.x) traffic to its virtual adapter by adding to the routing table.

I have never tracked down whether this behaviour by VMWare violates any standards or conventions but if it does not then any number of other applications could be doing this and we need more flexibility in UDP Write.

by Active Participant PhillipBrooks on ‎01-16-2012 03:16 PM
by Member ctennies on ‎01-17-2012 07:32 AM

interesting point here.  I decided to wire "net address" into the UDP open function and it DOES work for write as well.  I have a feeling maybe the function was updated but the help was not.  I have verified this functionality with wireshark

by Trusted Enthusiast on ‎01-24-2012 11:38 PM

I have asked a tech writer to review the documentation for the function.

by Active Participant JordanG on ‎05-16-2012 12:57 PM
Status changed to: Declined
Tech writer was alerted of documentation issue.
Latest LabVIEW Idea Exchange Blog Posts
About LabVIEW Idea Exchange

Have a LabVIEW Idea?

1. Browse by label or search in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to see if your idea has previously been submitted. If your idea exists be sure to vote for the idea by giving it kudos to indicate your approval!
  2. If your idea has not been submitted click Post New Idea to submit a product idea to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange. Be sure to submit a separate post for each idea.
  3. Watch as the community gives your idea kudos and adds their input.
  4. As NI R&D considers the idea, they will change the idea status.
  5. Give kudos to other ideas that you would like to see in a future version of LabVIEW!
Idea Statuses
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count