From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jason_h2

Ability to lock structure size

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When creating large state machines or using structures that have a lot of code in them, we come to a situation where the structure becomes incrementally larger as we develop. A structure can easily expand with small actions, however, if we later want to shrink the structure it is not so easy, especially with case structures.

I'd like to have a way to lock a structure in place so that it is impossible to expand it unless it is unlocked. That way it will help keep the code neater and also force the use of subvis in places where there is a lot of code. An option on the context menu would work.

Another option would be to lock the structure such that code could not expand it, only by intentionally clicking on the edge of the structure and resizing it could.

3 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The second option already exists - right click any structure and uncheck Auto Grow. Code which exceeds the boundary of the structure will now be hidden (which is why I don't use this feature).

You can also change the LV options to drop structures with auto grow disabled.

I think this is a good idea.  Sometimes you may want to limit the size of a loop or a case structure.  This is a step further than the disabling of Auto-Grow.

For example, you might want to limit the size of a structure so that it is entirely visible on a 17" monitor even though you develop code on a 22" monitor.

>

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus." - Blaise Pascal
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.