LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
jj2

Ability to export graph properties along with graph data from subvi without resorting to "references" to access changed properties of graphs in a subVI

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined. 

6 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

I hope I am interpreting your request correctly.It sounds like you have a graph on the panel of a subVI.You want to be able to have another VI get properties from the subVI without any sort of refnum.

If that is correct, then the following comments apply. If that is incorrect, please post further details about your idea.

In LabVIEW today, you can call the subVI and have it return, by value, any properties of the graph you need. If you want another VI to know when one of the properties changes without calling the subVI, the other VI can either poll for the changes or can have some sort of event listener for the changes. Both of these solutions require a reference or shared data of some sort. Either the caller VI has a refnum that it can poll/listen itself, or there's a global variable or similar shared data that is updated by the subVI every time the graph changes its properties. As far as I know, there's no other solution possible -- any new feature we would add to LV would still be one of these.

If you have a particular idea of what mechanism you'd like to see for doing this, please post it here.

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I think (hope) that the OP is referring to the difficulty in getting two graphs (or any objects) to "match" in appearance.  Right now you have to wire up Avagadro's number of individual properties, scale, colors, cursors, point styles, etc.  Hard to imagine any scenario with a refnum.  Perhaps the OP wants a simple way to get two objects to have the same properties.

The problem I see with this is where the line is drawn, I doubt you want them in the same position for example.  My own feeling is that it would be nice if there were more bundling of the properties so you have more options to pass grouped properties, while maintaining control over which groups you copy.  Perhaps we could do with a few clusters what now takes a couple of dozen individual properties.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

> I think (hope) that the OP is referring to the difficulty in getting

> two graphs (or any objects) to "match" in appearance.

I take it you mean dynamically match... statically match is possible just by creating a strict typedef, and both graphs will update as you change the properties.

What kinds of properties are regularly changed dynamically as the VI runs that you would want to keep in sync?

jj2
NI Employee (retired)

I am setting the y axis label on a plot in subVI. The plot is an output from the subVI. The calling (main VI) has a plot indicator.

The plot changes on the main VI when the VI is run but the y axis labels (decided by the subVI) do not change on the main VI.

The only way I know is to export a reference of the plot to the main VI (via connector pane) and then change the property

of the plot in the main VI by copying it from the subVI's reference to its plot.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

jaffar: I think that makes it clear what you're doing now. Thanks. How would you prefer that it work? I can't think of any solution that wouldn't involve a reference. Do you have a particular mechanism in mind?

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.