From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elaine_R.

API for LabVIEW Find-and-Replace

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

When working with large projects with many VIs I often find myself rewriting portions of the 'find and replace' feature that already exists as part of my VI Analzyer for overnight code-checks on the server...

It would be really neat if the existing find and replace logic available via the dialog was wrapped up into some simple API to allow for searching:

• for full/partial matching text
  • VI path to subroutine...

if it had parameters to suppress dialog popups for passwords & not-found-subVIs, that would be really helpful for running searches headlessly.

The API could return just a 1D array of paths to SubVI's where instances were found, or if it was really nice, the VI references?    I'd be content if just the 'find' side of the equation was implemented..I could take any manipulations from there.  I can see that there might be a dependency on VI Scripting to accomplish the search, and I'd be OK with an API that only works on a machine with a dev license... Especially if the 'replace' side of things was implemented somehow...

-E

1 Comment
Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.